Bento: Director of Marketing
Marketing & Communications
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2024
Bento provides members with stigma-free access to convenient and nutritious food curated by a team of Bento registered dietitians and sourced from trusted restaurants and grocery stores in and around our member community. This improves members' quality of life and generates the trust and consistency needed for Bento to provide the case management needed to connect and engage members with the healthcare resources that can improve their overall health outcomes. Recently approved by Medicaid as a medically tailored nutrition provider, Bento rapidly expands access to millions of eligible at-risk community members through partnerships with state and county Medicaid plans.
As Director of Marketing, you will use your experience and skills to ensure that both prospective Bento members and partner organizations have an accurate and clear understanding of how Bento can not only provide eligible health plan members with nutritious food in a convenient and stigma-free way but also engage them in the healthcare services needed to improve their overall health.
You will be responsible for developing and managing the execution of Bento’s integrated marketing plan to impact all Bento stakeholders - members, internal team members, partner organizations, policymakers, and media outlets.
As part of your first 12 months, you will lead a series of mission-critical activities to help Bento achieve the following objectives:
1. Define the Bento brand tone, voice, and key messaging to ensure that all Bento teams can consistently communicate and represent the who/what/why/how of Bento across the member journey, internally and externally.
2. Re-launch the Bento brand with emphasis first on the Bento website to more accurately reflect the Company’s current market position and service offering so that prospective:
a) Eligible members have a seamless and easy way to sign up for and understand how to use Bento
b) Health plan and community partners understand Bento’s unique core value proposition.
3. Identify key owned, earned, and paid communication channels to reach Bento's target audiences for maximum impact and collaborate with an external advertising agency to launch and measure the effectiveness of a series of brand awareness campaigns in select geographies.
4. Design and maintain a partnership toolkit in collaboration with the Community Partnerships team that makes Bento’s offering to community members seamless and easy for community organizations to champion.
5. Define, launch, and measure the effectiveness of a member referral campaign in partnership with the Product and Engineering teams.
As Director of Marketing you:
- See the opportunity to be Bento’s first marketing hire as the perfect collision between their past marketing experiences and desire to use their skills to change lives.
- Have proven experience leading the marketing strategy and execution for both B2B2C and D2C brands, which contributes to your nuanced perspective on striking the right balance between communicating with the organizations that will be paying for Bento and the community members who will be using Bento.
- Are excited to roll up your sleeves in the early stages of a startup to experiment and learn, and you know when and how to build a team to accelerate growth.
- Have experience partnering closely with design teams (internally and with agencies) to create digital and physical touchpoints to support the member journey.
- Know how to manage external advertising and PR agencies and have experience using a wide range of marketing tactics (email, in-person activations, social media, radio, print, and more) to reach low-income community members effectively.
- Have the battle scars to know that strategy without great execution is a recipe for failure…and that execution without clear objectives can often waste precious time and resources.
- Are data-driven, understand member/consumer behavior, data, and product metrics, and strategically use these inputs to derive insights that inform the marketing mix.
- Have an informed perspective on when to use the right marketing software and tools for the job and are hungry to keep up with the latest tools, skills, and approaches that give you and Bento an advantage.
- Look out for your team and do whatever is necessary to help get the job done.
You are someone who is:
- Open-minded and team-oriented
- Results-oriented and aren’t afraid to step out of your comfort zone to achieve desired results.
- Passionate about using food to engage low-income community members to improve their health and overall quality of life.
- Comfortable working with remote first / distributed teams
- Supportive to your teammates: your support for the team outweighs the need to feed your ego
- Excited about the fast pace of early-stage startups
- Hungry to always be learning and improving
This role will be a member of the Bento leadership team and will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
Bento is on a mission to ensure that lack of consistent access to nutritious food is no longer a barrier to one's health, happiness, or pursuit of a purposeful life. Over half of all adults in the US have a nutrition-related chronic disease, such as diabetes, hypertension, or heart disease, disproportionately impacting low-income community members. Despite the best intentions of food banks, government food assistance programs, and legacy disease management programs, these solutions have not been sufficient to effectively address and eliminate this problem within low-income communities, which has only gotten worse, not better. As a venture-backed startup, Bento is taking a new approach.