Shef: Tech Lead / Engineering Manager
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
What We Do
At Shef, we are building a community-based food platform. We believe in providing the shefs in our community (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents, retirees) the opportunity to make a meaningful income by doing what they love! We also believe that every person should have access to a wholesome, home-cooked meal at an affordable price. Building a community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef. As one of TechCrunch's "favorite YC startups" backed by prominent Silicon Valley VCs and investors -- we have a ton of exciting work ahead of us!
Shef is looking for a Tech Lead / Engineering Manager to lead the Engineering team. This is a hands-on role where you’ll partner closely with the Head of Product to run at important business problems. It’s a unique opportunity to revolutionize how we approach food and create a new category in terms of how we feed our families. Ideal candidates have a strong ownership mindset and are often the first to roll up their sleeves and get into the trenches to solve a problem. You have a bias for throughput and cross-functional experience that enables you to execute quickly. You're a builder at heart and a leader by nature with a low ego and high EQ. Your passion is creating solutions to interesting business problems and you’re excited to mentor and build a team. Startup experience is a must.
This role is hybrid; selecting for Bay Area candidates.
- Lead the engineering function for Shef: (1) make technical decisions (2), manage and motivate a team of engineers (3) grow the team as the company scales.
- Work closely with our Head of Product and CEO to build a scalable product that delights customers.
- Build and manage our full-stack infrastructure.
- Collaborate on building a product roadmap and lead a team in executing on it.
- Be a culture leader that instills Shef’s values and mission into each team member.
- Lead changes across the organization to improve performance in these key areas.
- 5+ years of engineering experience, with 3+ years experience leading engineering teams.
- Strong full-stack technical skills building a web-based consumer facing product and expertise in React, Node and Typescript.
- Track record of successfully managing, motivating and mentoring individuals and coaching them into leaders.
- Consistent demonstration of hard work and a bias for action.
- Attitude of continuous improvement, to better themselves and those on their team.
- Strong communication, with ability to distill complexity into clear and concise messaging.
- Functional leadership capabilities, to recruit, manage, and develop high-performing teams.
- High degree of empathy, with tendency to listen first and to make an impact through service.
- Strategic mindset, with ability to understand and have a clear point of view on the tradeoffs between time, cost and quality.
- Passionate about Shef’s mission to provide talented cooks with economic opportunity and to share their food with our communities
At Shef, we are building a platform that celebrates difference and cultural inclusivity by providing equitable opportunities for economic empowerment and by reimagining food making and sharing in our 21st century world. Our employee, shef, and customer communities represent a wide, beautiful cross-section of individuals from diverse cultures, ethnicities, races, and walks of life.
Shef is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to build a team that reflects the communities we serve, and a workplace that nurtures and empowers unique identities and experiences. We are committed to advancing equity in a tech industry that has often fallen short. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC (Black; Indigenous; People of Color), women, LGBTQ+, and other individuals who are underrepresented in the industry, across color, religion, race, ethnic and national origin, physical ability, gender and sexual identity.